Friday 14 June 2013

Project OverView

Project overview
Over the development of this project I feel I have learnt a great deal.  Not only do I have a fuller understanding of JavaScript but also my design skills have improved drastically.
I knew when writing out my proposal for this project that it was going to be a challenge. I had little coding experience and had only used unity to concept level designs. I knew I needed to get more confident with unity before I even attempted to learn JavaScript. This would give me the freedom to have a trial and error approach when it came to coding since it was a big undertaking.
I trolled through the net and found a playlist of unity tutorials by Tornado Twins (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL11F87EB39F84E292)   they covered all the basics when it came to unity, the interface, basic scripting techniques and how unity works. I found these tutorials really help me get to grips with unity.
I decided early on that when it came to art assets needed that I would out source them. This was so that I could fully focus on the code and design of the game I used a website called turbo squid (http://www.turbosquid.com/index.cfm ) to source most of the assets. This saved me a lot of time however I did have to unwrap and texture most of the assets myself but at least I had a base to start with.
Overall I feel that I had a lot of problems that I over came with the project. I’m really proud of how far I was able to take the project. I know it’s not 100% perfect and still needs a lot of work but I am looking forward to taking the project further and improving my skills more.   
Future Development
This game needs a lot of polishing to get to a publishable standard, so I would like to develop it further. Things I would improve include:
1.      Physics based puzzle/interactions – I would add physics to the doors and objects in the environment. Players will be able to drag doors open rather then simply clicking to get them to swing open. Changes like this will improve the gameplay and get it to the same immersive standard as the environment. If I can get the physics working on the doors I can then develop it further by including physic based puzzles into the game.
2.      Increase environment size – I would like to include different sections to the level to create exterior areas to contrast with the interior level I have now. This will add a new element to the atmosphere and stop the level becoming repetitive.
3.      Re design wolf – I feel that there is all this tension created in game with the dark corridors and shadows darting about but once the AI (the Wolf) appeared it seemed to burst the tension bubble. The wolf looks slightly comical with his torn clothing and big gold belt. I was very lucky to have Mike Green texture and animate the wolf for my game as he is a talented character artist however I feel that this particular design is totally wrong for this kind of environment. I would also create more animations to convey to the player when the AI has actually spotted them so that they know when to run or hide.
4.      Inventory – Adding an inventory is one interaction that I would also look into. This could encourage a player to explore the environment more with the knowledge that they have room to pick up objects.

5.      More avatar presence – I would like model a hand or add breathing so that the avatar has a bit more presences in the game. This would purely be an aesthetic choice and may not work in game but I’d still like to test it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment