Sunday 11 November 2012

Rationale


Rationale

I intend to make for my dissertation a working piece of game play that will not only show my strong design skills but also demonstrate that I am competent across the development pipeline. As a designer I will need to work with multiple disciplines in the industry, therefore it is important for me to have understanding of all areas of a development team. I am therefore challenging myself to create all assets needed for this development.

I found a job advert online for a lead designer:


  Two points really stood out to me in the skills required:

- Excellent level of knowledge of the game development process from conception to street
- Highly creative and enthusiastic. Able to pass this on to the team and inspire them’ 

It shows that the designer world is not only looking for someone with interesting design ideas but also with all rounded skills in the development pipeline. Since I am taking on all roles in this development I feel that the outcome will prove that I have these skills. 

As an aspiring games designer it is important for me to have a strong design portfolio therefore I have decided to focus my dissertation on the development of a stand out portfolio piece. I spoke to a friend in industry (Ben Flynn) and asked him what kind of things his company would be looking for in a young designer’s portfolio.

For a design portfolio I think some working game play in unreal/unity will be key. I know in a few interviews bringing playable code is a big plus. That way they can get hands on. If unreal is the chosen engine then being familiar with Kismet, some level building tools and a bit of matinee should be enough. Being able to show your thought process and working would be a great thing to do.’

I realised that although I have level designs, concept work and character designs to go into my portfolio I didn't have a fully completed game that showcased my full potential. This is why I have decided to create a working piece of gameplay.  

I have decided to develop Grimm Dreams in unity despite Ben Flynns advice of using unreal. This is because I'm already very familiar with unreal technology and am in the process of developing another game using this software.  I am not a skilled coder, and UDK can become quite complex during the coding process. I have experience is coding in unity so it will be less of a risk factor as I’m coding in familiar scripting language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment